2016-02-07

Cat's out the bag!

Welcome new readers! You've probably found your way here because we've finally come out in public that we're having a baby! We put up a Facebook post and it's probably been the most popular Facebook update I've ever done. However, I've been writing a few blog posts before, so you might want to pop down the page and read up what has happened so far... Don't worry, this post will still be waiting for you once you finish reading them.

A few weeks have gone by since the last update and it's time to write another update on how me and Larva are doing. We had a growth ultrasound scan on the 21st of January and got some new pictures of Larva then. Unfortunately things went as I suspected and the technician was unable to do the nuchal translucency (aka NT) measurement, so we had to wait until February 1st (last Monday) to have blood drawn for the quadruple test. The results for it came on Friday with likelihoods of less than 1 to 10000 that there's anything massively wrong, and so we were able to give a go-ahead for those members of the family who already knew, that they can tell others that we're having a baby!

Here I am!
Here I am, 13+5

The due date was now shifted a week earlier than what the previous scan said, so now it's the 23rd of July. Scan and blood test results have been relieving for not only knowing that Larva is doing all right, but also finally being able to go public and as a result being able to ask other recent mummies for advice on what to buy, what to do and what to avoid. I can now *finally* shop for some maternity kit and can really start planning for other purchases. The only purchases I've done so far for specifically pregnant me has been two pairs of non-wired full support bras and an exercise ball, which I plan to keep and use as an office chair after Larva's made The Exit. The only big 'purchase' we've done right after the quadruple test results came in was to book in NCT antenatal classes in May and June.

I've done 48 subcutaneous injections so far. My sharps bin, located between the bed and the bedside table on the floor, is slowly getting filled with used, bent needles. I'm slowly learning to do the injections without a massive bruise and agony and it's not a 10 minute procedure any more. I'm glad, because I do need to keep up with this until September, if for nothing else then for my own sanity and peace of mind.

Sharps bin filling up
Sharps bin filling up

Otherwise things are going pretty much as usual. We're still cooking food from the Hairy Dieters books, and I'm still enjoying most of the foods. I still don't have any more nausea or throwing up than what I've had in the first trimester, there's some things that I dislike but nothing new has come on the list, it's mainly just moved up a notch - I downright hate parsnips now when I earlier just disliked them, for example. I still have problems with my lunches, just like I did before I became pregnant, now I just become hungry out of the blue and I get angry really quickly if I don't do anything about it. My sense of thirst has also started to develop to a more natural or normal state to what it has been for the past 30 years. And my sleeping has become worse, but I've had trouble sleeping for years. Until now I've used a rolled up towel under my tummy when I sleep on my side, but I think a maternity pillow is going to be on the shopping list next, right before maternity jeans.

And speaking of foods, I haven't really had strong cravings, apart from once when I cried because I wanted raspberries right now. I just have strong desires for foods, most that I can talk myself out of or have given up on them, only to reminisce every now and then; that is: Finnish food. I want cloudberries, leipäjuusto, rahkapulla, mustamakkara, mämmi, Finnish cottage cheese, Christmas carrot casserole etc. Basically either foods that are impossible to get, even by mail because they'd get bad before arriving to UK, would be available from the Finnish seaman's church in London, or are so laborious to make with all the prep needed (ie. cleaning up the kitchen to make space for prepping) that I've just given up. At least some things, like Finnish sausage, can be substituted without noticeable difference. Polish cottage cheese is quite close to the Finnish, but it's not entirely there. And one thing that's the same world over, that I seem to go through in quantities, is milk. I've had days when I've done my two litres of liquids with milk alone.

Continuing on the subject of foods, I live and die by my daily breakfast of Kellogs Allbran and psyllium fiber with plenty of milk, if you know what I mean...

I've had only a few big mood swings and hormonal emotional breakdowns. Biggest came few weeks ago, when I first cried over someone being mean at me in the Internet, followed by getting upset and crying over the Bear putting his mobile phone on the upstairs balustrade where I could have easily dropped it down the stairs, quickly moving on crying over crying over (yes, this did happen! not a mistake!) a phone that I could've, but didn't drop, while I managed to keep my eyes dry when we told the Grandparents on Christmas, which I felt to be very upsetting... aaaaand finally... crying over the Bear laughing at me for crying over crying over not being as upset when we told the baby news to being super upset about something that didn't even happen. This all happened within 30 minutes...

Glucose tolerance test invite came in the mail few weeks back, and it's scheduled for mid-May. I'll have had at least one ultrasound scan before that. Next midwives appointment is week on Tuesday. I've got no idea what to expect (apart from the obvious joke).

Following big purchases are probably a car seat, the Finnish baby box and a baby carrier of some sort (not a Babybjörn though, for sure!). Furniture will have to wait until we make an active effort in trying to decide how to arrange the house.

For the past week, every now and then, I've been feeling an odd sensation in my lower abdomen, that I could on the first occurrence describe only as if someone had put an effervescent drinks tablet in my tummy, and a few days later as oddly located air. I'm trying very hard to not read too much into this as we're barely on week 16, but suspicions are high...

I think I've spent my remaining energy for today, so I'll just finish by thanking you for reading this far, and hopefully I've not bored you to death. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment