2016-01-12

Sewing on a rainy day

Recently I've noticed that my jeans don't quite fit like they used to. Getting up from the sofa, bending down to get my handbag from the floor when seated in a restaurant, it's all gotten a bit tense. The the toll is mostly paid by my jeans buttonhole which is starting to look a bit more strained than usual. Something needed to be done, and that something wasn't going to be going to the shops for maternity clothing, as I see no need for it yet at this early stage of pregnancy. Buying single purpose garments at this point seems stupid, so it was time to do some searching in Pinterest and in Instagram for some inspiration on how to solve the problem.

And so, after a little search, I found these Bella Bands, as they're called.

. Some thinking ensued, a little bit of eBay shopping for buttonhole elastic and sewable buttons and a rummage for a binliner filled with the Bears old t-shirts the last time we cleared our wardrobe, and I had my ingredients at hand.

And so, after some doodling on leftover Christmas wrapping paper scraps, watching a few Youtube videos about my new 32-part sewing machine presser foot kit, I made a few maternity jeans extenders, or whatever you'd want to call them. Edges were finished with normal zigzag, and the channel for the elastic was sewn with the multistitch zigzag stitch. The 25mm button hole elastic was doubled, ends were sewn together with the multistich zigzag, button was sewn on the other end and two sets of two buttonholes were cut to form two bigger buttonholes to accomodate bigger buttons some of my jeans have.

Readymade product
Readymade product
Bellyband in use
Bellyband in use

That's it for today! Next week I'll have our second ultrasound scan, the 12 week one. Stay tuned for news...

No comments:

Post a Comment